- Don’t go to the gym to socialise: I have walked into the gym many a time to find people in groups standing around talking, or guys trying to pick up that chick on the treadmill. If you’re socialising at the gym then you’re not working out and you’re wasting your time. Hang out at a coffee shop or something.
- You should know when to rest: Many people think more is simply better, more hours at the gym, more supplements, and more weight. But more is not always better, you should be able to listen to your body, rest is one of the key components of building muscle. You should start off by getting at least 7 hours of sleep every night. Listen to your body; take a day off for every 2 days of training. You will definitely see an increase in energy and growth.
- Supplement even on off days: Your supplementation regime should not take a day off, it should simply be modified. You should supplement with whey protein on off days, you don’t necessarily have to use creatine. Remember that it is during your rest period that your muscles repair themselves and they need help to do so. The best help they can get is protein.
- Alcohol consumption is a big no: partying hard and going hard in the gym do not go together. Alcohol slows muscle growth. Enough said!
- Go hard: always challenge yourself. Your body is clever and will adapt to routine workouts. You must keep it fresh by either, increasing your weights, changing the number of reps or sets or doing completely different exercises every time you work out.
- Mental strength: Just as you need to keep your body in shape you also need to keep your mind in shape. 90% of the battle is in your mind. Train hard and stay focused.
- Walk the talk: this one is simple, don’t just talk about it, do it. Join the gym, change your diet, and work hard.